Wednesday, December 9, 2020 – Alliant Energy Center
Thank you for signing up to volunteer during the 25th annual NBC15 Share Your Holidays to eliminate hunger Grand Finale Phone-a-thon and/or Sort-a-thon! Your support will help us achieve this year's inspirational goal to raise 5 MILLION MEALS in honor of our 25th anniversary!
Below is important information related to your volunteer experience. Please review carefully in advance of the Grand Finale and notify your organization's primary contact of any questions.
Second Harvest Foodbank Contact
For any Grand Finale volunteering questions, your organization's primary contact should get in touch with Pam Higham via email.
- We look forward to providing a well-organized and safe Grand Finale.
- There will be a separate touchless check in area for the Phone-a-thon and Sort-a-thon. Event set-up will provide safe distancing and sanitized equipment/work areas. Face masks will be required.
- As the Grand Finale date nears, if you are experiencing any of the following symptoms, or have been exposed to anyone with these symptoms, PLEASE STAY HOME: fever, sore throat, coughing, shortness of breath, or fatigue. Now is the time for the cautious choice. Please notify your organization's primary contact as soon as possible. Your help in providing an alternate volunteer, if possible, would be very much appreciated.
- Please remeber to do your part to maintain safe distancing at all times.
- You are invited to review the Second Harvest COVID-19 Protocols.
Phone-a-thon (View Schedule)
- Location: Lake Room - Upper Level
- Overview: Answer phones and accept credit card donations and pledges
- Age: 18 or older
- Dress: in layers (conference room temps can vary).
- Training: Review the phone-a-thon instructions (instructions coming soon) in advance. You'll also receive training before your shift.
Sort-a-thon (View Schedule)
- Location: Hall D
- Overview: Sort, inspect and pack the food donated throughout NBC15 Share Your Holidays. The goal is to do the best job, not the fastest. Food items need to be well inspected and packed efficiently. We will also be packing Care Boxes during shifts.
- Age: 12 and older (Adult supervision required for ages 12-15)
- Dress: Casual, comfortable layers (Hall can be chilly). No open-toed shoes.
- Training: You'll receive training at the start of your shift.
Your organization's primary contact should provide individual volunteer names and email addresses by Friday, December 4. This information will help ensure touchless on-site check in process.
How To Cancel a Shift
Having challenges filling all your reserved spots? Your organization's primary contact should get in touch with Pam Higham as soon as possible. We need all Phone-a-thon and Sort-a-thon shifts filled to meet the campaign's 5 million meal goal. If you're swapping one volunteer for another to fill all your reserved spots, thank you! Please be sure to update the list of volunteer names and emails you have provided for on-site registration.
- Date: Wednesday, December 9
- Location: Exhibition Hall at the Alliant Energy Center - 1919 Alliant Energy Center Way, Madison.
- Arrival time: 10-15 minutes before the start of your shift.
- Monetary donations: Thank you! We will accept donations at Registration.
- Personal items: There will be coat racks to hang jackets and place winter boots. Please do not bring in purses or other valuables.
- Refreshments: Complimentary bottled water will be provided. If your shift is over a normal meal time, please plan to eat before/after.
- Dress to be seen: Volunteering during the Grand Finale is a fun team building activity and can also yield on-air visibility for your organization. Some things to enhance visibility are matching logoed shirts or hats for your group or holiday flare like Santa hats or reindeer antlers. Have fun with volunteering and find ideas in-synch with the volunteer work you’re doing… a blinky necklace might not be the safest for sifting through food on the Sort-a-thon and reindeer antlers hinder you comfortably answering phones on the Phone-a-thon, but if not, go for it!
Grand Finale Back-Up Date - Wednesday, December 16
Not holding the Grand Finale on December 9 would be a last resort - for severe weather. The goal of a back-up date is advanced awareness so hopefully most everyone can mobilize. Please share this date with your volunteers. We do understand use of a back-up date may present challenges with your organization's schedule and/or employees' personal commitment and affect your presence.